Sunday, September 2, 2007

educating ellen

having young children causes me to realize how little i know. for example, at the dinner table tonight, jessica asked me how telephones work. hmm. i blanked. i mean, i know the basics, but i still don't understand how someone in california can talk to someone in china. how on earth can our voices be heard, on the other side of the globe, in real time?? i don't understand television either - but it's pretty sweet that a mormon invented it!

our discussion at the dinner table quickly became trivia time as jessica and james asked me about satellites, moses, chickens and various other topics i know little about. like i said, i tend to know the basics, but sometimes i don't know what to say or how to explain. at times, jessica will ask me what a certain word means, and i won't know how to explain it. i, myself, always know what the word means, but when it comes to putting it into words in a way that she will understand, sometimes i struggle. sheesh, i am telling you - motherhood kills brain cells!

i relish in these opportunities to learn with my children. if i can't answer a question, such as: "how long do beetles live for?" i can always say, "let's look it up!" we can take a trip to the library or log onto the internet and answer these questions together. it will be nice when my super smart best friend can be around, because i am sure he'll be able to answer and explain a lot of this stuff without having to look it up. he is one intelligent guy!

school has been stressful and overwhelming, but i have also learned a great deal. i always look forward to learning something new. lifelong learning is an awesome thing. i don't feel the need to hit my education hard and earn a bunch of degrees, then pursue a career. me, i'm a homebody. i prefer to learn at a relaxed and enjoyable pace. i love to watch educational programs, read books and experience life, "hands-on." i still have the desire to pursue my education, and i will - yet it will most likely go slowly as i focus on my family. i think it is really imporant to learn, but one doesn't necessarily need to get that education from a college. i know of quite a few insanely intelligent, successful individuals who don't have degrees. still, a degree is a great thing to have. anyway...

the greatest foundation for education is created in the home. as parents, we are our children's greatest examples and teachers when it comes to learning and attitudes about learning. it is important that mothers be educated so they can teach their children, and also in the event that they must leave the home and be the breadwinners for their families. too many women, including myself, have put their educations on the back burner assuming their husband will always support them. but death, divorce, accidents and illnesses do happen - and women need to be prepared. i have a girlfriend that has no idea what her house cost, or what bills they have. this always baffled me.

my husband was always the one who took care of the vehicle maintenance, hooked up our surround sound and computer, hung curtains and fixed things around the house. i knew how to do some of these things, but we assumed our traditional roles and it worked. with the divorce, i've had to learn and do a lot, in a short amount of time. there have been intimidating and frustrating moments, but overall it has been extremely satisfying. i've continued to receive some "male help" from home teachers, family and so forth, but i have accomplished some things myself, as well. i have to say, it feels great! becoming self-reliant is a wonderful thing. i still have a lot to learn, but the bottom line is - i am learning. go, me!

1 comment:

Keri said...

I love to talk to you, Elle! (Just responding to your "Leave your comment" comment.) Thanks for this blog. It just makes me think that I should try harder to learn to do more things. Hope things are going well for you. By the way, Philo T. Farnsworth invented the TV. My maiden name is Farnsworth. Randy's more closely related to him, however...that being said, I must admit that Randy and I ARE 5th cousins.