Tuesday, June 26, 2007

writing assignment

this is my first assignment for my college writing class. we were asked to write a little bio, no more than 300 words (mine is exactly 300 - go ME!). we were asked to tell the rest of the class (this is posted to a forum) about our past, present & future, what writing means to us and our careers and why we are taking an on-line class. that's a lot to cram into a dinky 300 words or less (which is why i used every word i possibly could)! so far, everyone has submitted a rather dry response. i am bored out of my mind, reading a bunch of stats. me, I wanted to write something more creative, rather than some dull piece about myself. here is what I wrote:

I am fair-skinned Swede who grew up near the sunny beaches of Southern California. Yes, I admit it – I am a Valley girl. I never managed to get that perfect tan, though. I was always getting sunburns, as a result of my friends teasing me about my “neon skin.” I quickly learned that I preferred to be indoors or under the shade of my family’s orange tree, writing stories and poetry, rather than sun-bathing with the rest of my cheerleading friends.

In the shade of that orange tree, I was invincible. Writing was my escape from so many things. The words that flowed from pen to paper made me feel strong. Writing was what I turned to, when life became difficult. After high school, I faced great adversity. Somehow, I persevered. Much of my ability to endure, I owe to writing.

I now face one of my greatest challenges. After nine years of marriage and three beautiful children, my husband decided to leave us. You can imagine the amount of writing that ensued! From this devastating, life-altering experience, I’ve learned a great deal about life, and about myself. I am stronger and more capable than I ever imagined.

I returned to school, taking on-line classes, and began watching other children for additional income. These two opportunities enable me to remain home with my children, which is my greatest goal and desire.

For me, writing will always be important. It holds significance as I teach my children and as I pursue a degree in Early Childhood Education. As the character in Edgar Allen Poe’s “The Raven” believed the Balm of Gilead would mend his broken heart for the lost Lenore, I believe writing has played a great role in the healing of my own heart. Writing is my Balm of Gilead.

No comments: