Friday, June 22, 2007

perfect fit

you know those jeans that look great on the rack, but then you try them on, and they are nothing like you hoped they'd be? yeah. i've had those jeans before. i picked a tall pair of jeans that seemed to scream, "wear me! i will look FABulous on you!" i showed the jeans to my friends and they agreed it looked like a really nice pair. some of my friends were skeptical about these jeans and thought they might not fit me, but i didn't care! my mind was made up - i was going to buy them!! wait a sec....just BUY them? wasn't i going to try them on first?? nope! i was sooooo smart. i felt like i had some experience in this area and knew they'd fit, just by looking at them. i was convinced they'd "make me happy."

so i brought the jeans home. turns out, they didn't compliment my figure at all. some people thought the jeans looked great on me, some didn't. since i already bought them, i decided to make the most of it. i looked for the good in them and ignored the bad stuff. sure, they were uncomfortable...but the color was nice. sure, i had to keep adjusting myself when i wore them...but the style was "in."

i owned these jeans for many years. i continued to wear them through weight gain and weight loss. i wore them through pregnancies. i continued to wear them, even when they became stained and torn. i held onto this pair of jeans and convinced myself that these painful jeans were, indeed, what i wanted. i told myself that i would never find any better pair - and besides, i made the choice to purchase them...and i stick to my committments.

well, the jeans continued to tear and more stains appeared. i tried to mend them and tried to get the stains out, but it just wasn't working. i was so frustrated. i even tried to lose weight, hoping that would make things more comfortable. finally, it got to the point where i realized it just wasn't working anymore. the jeans had run their course. every time i put them on, they seemed to reject me. and so, i released my jeans back into the world. perhaps someone else would find these jeans and they'd fit. they certainly did not fit me.

at first, it was really difficult without my jeans. they were so old and familiar to me. i sincerely believed there'd never be another pair for me. i couldn't imagine finding anything better than what i had had. after all i had spent on mending and cleaning those jeans, i was broke. i had nothing left to give. i was in no position to look for new jeans...and even if i was, i was too exhausted.

some time passed, and i was surprised to find that life was better without my old jeans! during that time, i was able to reflect on why those old jeans did not work out. i also thought a lot about the kind of jeans i would like to have one day....the kind that would last a very, very long time.

in the meantime, i wore shorts and skirts because they were comforting during this difficult, uncomfortable season. well, one day a pair of jeans caught my eye. i wasn't even looking for jeans...but there was something about this particular pair. i wasn't ready to commit to a new pair of jeans, and to be honest, did not have the money. they weren't the flashy style i was accustomed to, but something about them drew me right in. i ran my fingers against the fabric. they felt really nice. i walked around the rack a couple times and returned to the jeans and checked the price tag. hmm...it was reasonably priced! best of all, was the brand name. i knew that these jeans would last a very, very long time. unlike my old jeans, i knew i could count on this new pair. it would resist stains and would not tear easily, like my old pair.

i left the clothing section and walked around, pondering these new jeans. as i walked, thoughts of my old jeans kept popping up. no...i wasn't ready to buy new jeans yet. i was still holding on to the memories of my old pair, even though they had done me wrong. i knew my old jeans had been a nuisance...so why did i care so much?! i think they had just grown so familiar that i looked past the fact that they hurt me, were worldly and just...didn't fit me as well as i'd hoped.

i didn't buy the jeans that day, but i would visit them every now and then. they started to become familiar to me. they were not my usual style, but that began to appeal to me as well. still, they didn't look like they'd fit me. but i couldn't shake the fact that there was something about them...

the day finally came when i went to the store and tried them on. i was pleasantly surprised to discover - they fit perfectly. it was as if they had been made just for me. i no longer questioned the different style...i loved them just as they were. these new jeans were so incredibly comfortable, highly unique and of great quality. it made sense to have them, but aside from it being a smart choice, it was also what my heart wanted.

i had forgotten my purse, so i rushed home to get money. unfortunately, i became distracted. when i finally got back on track, the store was closed. first thing the next morning, i got up early and drove to the store. i was eager, excited, thrilled beyond words! i was the very first customer there, when the store finally opened. but...my heart sank, when i approached the rack and saw the jeans were not there anymore. i panicked! i looked everywhere and even had the store workers help. turned out i was too late...someone had purchased them the night before. ohhh, WHY did i wait so long?!? the problem was, i had needed all that time. i needed the time to familiarize myself with the jeans and figure out what i really wanted. i wanted them - but now they were gone forever. or, so i thought...

now, you'd think i'd never see those jeans ever again, right? well, amazingly, i found them! they were being resold, now at a much greater price. i was more than willing to pay it! unfortunately, someone else wanted the jeans, too. there was a bidding war...and i won. i won!!

these wonderful jeans are now mine. i am so proud of them. i never, in a million years, thought it would be possible to find jeans such as these....that don't just have some or most of the qualities i desire...but ALL of them. they are nothing like the jeans i used to wear. they are modest in style and cut. they are not cheaply made...but are made out of the finest material. there is a great attention to detail that you just don't find in most jeans these days. they are strong and sturdy and i know they will last forever. when i first tried them on, i really didn't think they were going to fit me, but they do. oh, how they do...

they are the perfect fit.

No comments: